Mammoth Talk

The Coronavirus

I'm sure everyone knows about the coronavirus by now. There have been over 34,000 people infected by the virus just in China alone and there have been over 700 people who have died from it. Yesterday I heard on NPR that people in China are being required to report anyone they know who has the virus so they can be quarantined. CNN is reporting that 86 people died yesterday in China and the US recorded its first death from the virus.

Deadliest day for coronavirus as mainland China records 86 fatalities, while US announces first American death

(CNN)Mainland China had its deadliest day in the coronavirus outbreak Friday, with authorities reporting 86 fatalities from the pneumonia-like illness that is paralyzing much of the country.

A total of 722 people had died from the virus and 34,546 were infected in mainland China by the end of Friday, China's National Health Commission said. The majority of new cases were recorded in Hubei province and its capital, Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak. Authorities finished construction on a new hospital in Wuhan last week, and another is due to open in the coming days to treat the growing number of patients.

Meanwhile, it emerged that a 60-year-old United States citizen had died from the virus at Jinyintian Hospital, in Wuhan, on February 6, according to the US Embassy in Beijing, marking the first confirmed death of a foreigner from the virus. Japan also reported its first death of suspected coronavirus in Wuhan on Saturday, according to an announcement from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The Japanese man in his 60s died of pneumonia. The hospital that treated him was inconclusive on the cause of the pneumonia.

Read more here: https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/08/asia/coronavirus-deaths-china-intl-hnk/index.html

It looks like there is no hope for anyone who catches the virus, I haven't heard of anyone recovering from it. I heard an interview with someone who's an expert on these viruses and he said the coronavirus came from a wet market where all kinds of live animals (bats, snakes, chickens, etc.) are being sold as food for human consumption. The expert said that the virus came from a certain species of bat (I can't remember which one) that was being sold. The SARS virus also came from this kind of market in China and so have others. I think nature has a way of keeping things in balance and if it isn't this virus that removes a large portion of the Earth's population it will be another one soon.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lmao.  

Neat idea with a drone checking on people.  

Posted Images

I just heard on the news that the Coronavirus has killed more people than the SARS virus did. I also heard that there are officials in China going door to door and checking people’s temperatures.

• 4 weeks later...

From the BBC News website:

Italy has placed up to 16 million people under quarantine as it battles to contain the spread of coronavirus. 

Anyone living in Lombardy and 14 other central and northern provinces will need special permission to travel. Milan and Venice are both affected.

Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte also announced the closure of schools, gyms, museums, nightclubs and other venues across the whole country.

The measures, the most radical taken outside China, will last until 3 April.

Italy has seen the largest number of coronavirus infections in Europe, with the number of confirmed cases jumping by more than 1,200 to 5,883 on Saturday.

The strict new quarantine measures affect a quarter of the Italian population and centre on the rich northern part of the country that powers its economy.

The death toll in Italy has passed 230, with officials reporting more than 36 deaths in 24 hours.

Read more here: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51787238

That's really awful for a country that relies so much on tourism. 

Italy has it bad and has been struggling the contain the virus.

I fear the UK might be heading in the same direction as well. We'll soon find out in about 3-4 weeks time. But it has been spreading through the UK pretty fast now.

Edited by Gaz

@Gaz How many confirmed cases of the Coronavirus has there been in the UK so far? How many deaths?

We've had 45 confirmed cases here in New York and our governor has already declared a state of emergency. Most of the confirmed cases of Coronavirus  have been on the other side of the country in the state of Washington which has had over 100.

I'm just getting over a cold and don't even want to joke about the virus like many of my younger FB "friends" have been.

17 minutes ago, Paul said:

How many confirmed cases of the Coronavirus has there been in the UK so far?

Not sure what it stands at right now, our Government is only updating the general public on a weekly bases. But reading other news sites you can try and see what's going on better, like here on Sky News.

https://news.sky.com/story/67-more-people-infected-with-coronavirus-in-uk-taking-total-to-273-11952874

Edited by Gaz

But here in the UK. That might not sound like a lot so far, but it has spread to a lot of towns and big cities here now. Manchester, London, Bolton, them three major cities have it, with Manchester, Bolton and Bury being close to me. Not good... because if you're in your 50's and over, you are at a bigger risk in that age group. And if a smoker (or ex-smoker) also, the risk of  dying from it becomes even higher.

A lot of people here are saying that the media is over sensationalizing how bad the virus is. I personally don't think they (the media) are, this could get a whole lot worse quickly. The city of San Francisco has a huge homeless population, if some of those people caught the virus I could see it becoming a huge problem with a lot of the cases not being reported.

13 minutes ago, Paul said:

A lot of people here are saying that the media is over sensationalizing how bad the virus is.

It will be all over the news now because it's spread to other countries and getting worse.

Italy, the news about them locking down the North with 16 million people. A lot found out it was happening the day before and have fled during the night.

3rd person has died in the UK from Coronavirus. https://news.sky.com/story/co...er-testing-positive-11953382

From that article it says the guy had underlying conditions but doesn't say what they were. I think that's just a way for people in the medical field to try and keep everyone calm. The Chinese doctor who first reported the virus looked like he was young and healthy, no one ever said he had underlying conditions.

They still don't know if you can catch it more than once, or if you're immune to catching it a second time. Apparently, one the first people in China to get the virus, he's had it two times now. But they said, they don't know if it just re-surfed in him again weeks later. So there is no guarantee right now, that if you get the virus and are okay. There is nothing right now saying you can't get it again.

Which is funny, because our PM in the UK made a statement saying we should let it run its course and everyone catch it. Get it over and done with (which didn't go down well him saying that). But he said it knowing, we don't know yet if a person can catch it more than once after that guy in China having it two times.

Edited by Gaz
21 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Apparently, one the first people in China to get the virus, he's had it two times now. But they said, they don't know if it just re-surfed in him again weeks later. So there is no guarantee right now, that if you get the virus and are okay. There is nothing right now saying you can't get it again.

I heard another story about someone having the virus, they were released from the hospital and it either resurfaced or they caught it again. I can't remember where it happened but it wasn't China.

Just now, Paul said:

I heard another story about someone having the virus, they were released from the hospital and it either resurfaced or they caught it again

Yeah, if you search Google on it. There's been more than one that ended up with the virus caught two times.

Not read anything that says you cannot catch it two yet. If you can, then that makes things far worse trying to stop it.

7 hours ago, Gaz said:

our Government is only updating the general public on a weekly bases

Not true. It's still daily. That was a bit of confusion in that they had a plan to only release the *locations* weekly (but still release the figures daily), but they've abandoned that idea also.

6 minutes ago, Scrotnig said:

Not true. It's still daily. That was a bit of confusion in that they had a plan to only release the *locations* weekly (but still release the figures daily), but they've abandoned that idea also.

Yes, you are right. It was about not giving info daily, and only weekly at first about infected areas.

From the BBC News website:

Tesco, the UK's largest grocer, has begun restricting sales of essential food and household items as a result of coronavirus stockpiling.

Shoppers are limited to buying no more than five of certain goods, including antibacterial gels, wipes and sprays, dry pasta, UHT milk and some tinned vegetables

The rules apply in stores and online.

A government spokesperson said it was in touch with UK supermarkets to "discuss their response" to the virus.

Waitrose has introduced a temporary cap on some items on its website, including some anti-bacterial soaps and wipes. 

The supermarket said it was in talks with its suppliers to ensure customer demand was met. 

It said some individual stores may have introduced their own restrictions, with "some branch managers making a judgement at a localised level".

Read more here: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51790375

This would be a complete disaster if tried here, it would send people into a panic. We already have a lot of people who stockpile ammunition, military type ready to eat meals, and other items as they wait for dooms day, this would send them over the edge. People here act like complete lunatics on Black Friday when they can buy a cheap TV, I can't imagine what they would do if they couldn't buy their favorite foods.

I don't get why the UK government has been saying don't wear face masks, saying they don't work.

They may not be 100% effective, and I understand the reasons why. But they do offer some protection, which is better than none if not wearing a mask at all. We see medical staff wearing them in hospitals, etc. So I think they're only telling people not to bother wearing face masks, just because it makes things look bad seeing people walking around in the streets wearing them, it causes a bit of scare mongering that they want to avoid.

Edited by Gaz

That's the figure being thrown around. They think up to 80% of people in the UK could end up getting Coronavirus.

Doesn't look good for your chances of not getting it then.