Jump to content
Mammoth Talk
Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Sites still using vB3

Recommended Posts

It's amazing to me that there are still websites/forums out there that are still using vB3. It's working for them so I guess why not? I assume they'll have to move to a different platform sooner or later. Anyway, here are a couple that I like, it kind of seems like they screwed themselves by not upgrading to something else a long time ago. I'm glad they didn't move to XenForo. I'll add more in the future.

https://www.fredmiranda.com (I used to visit this site every day)

https://www.fodors.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you know what you're doing (or know someone who does!) it's quite straightforward to keep vB3 and vB4 compatible with later versions of php.

Add-ons can be where the bigger problems lie, some vB3 add-ons aren't even compatible with php 5.4!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Scrotnig said:

If you know what you're doing (or know someone who does!) it's quite straightforward to keep vB3 and vB4 compatible with later versions of php.

I imagine the people running the two websites that I linked to know how to keep things going for as long as needed. I first discovered fredmiranda.com around 2003/2004, I'm sure they have had to overcome a lot of server side difficulties with running the script throughout the years.

What are some of the bigger sites still using vB3 that you know of?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2020 at 1:47 PM, Paul said:

It's amazing to me that there are still websites/forums out there that are still using vB3.

vB3 and vB4 sites look really dated and old now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's another big one still using vB3 https://www.bikeforums.net . Those icons really do look dated. I don't see any modifications that would keep them from updating to something newer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Paul said:

I imagine the people running the two websites that I linked to know how to keep things going for as long as needed. I first discovered fredmiranda.com around 2003/2004, I'm sure they have had to overcome a lot of server side difficulties with running the script throughout the years.

What are some of the bigger sites still using vB3 that you know of?

I know of quite a few but can't post the URLs as I don't have the oweners' permission.

One that is quite well known though is https://www.cableforum.uk/board/

Paul.M seems to run it these days. I have no idea who now owns it, back in the day it was always Frank Whitestone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Scrotnig said:

One that is quite well known though is https://www.cableforum.uk/board/

I remember visiting Paul's forum from when I had my vB license ages ago. It looks like it's still pretty active but I always get a feeling when seeing a site like that, that it would be even more active if it was updated to something more modern and modern looking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

That cable forum in the early day that Paul runs. It was promoted through the newsgroups heavily, at a time when Virgin Media didn't even run their own forum.

I had a spell using the newsgroups to see what it was all about, and saw that forum was always being promoted in it at VM users. A lot of the success of that forum was down to them using the VM newsgroups in the early days.

Virgin Media now though have their own forums.

Edited by Gaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Gaz said:

That cable forum in the early day that Paul runs. It was promoted through the newsgroups heavily, at a time when Virgin Media didn't even run their own forum.

I had a spell using the newsgroups to see what it was all about, and saw that forum was always being promoted in it at VM users. A lot of the success of that forum was down to them using the VM newsgroups in the early days.

Virgin Media now though have their own forums.

There's rather more to its history than that.

It started life as nthellworld.com, a protest site for complaints about UK Cable provider ntl.

It was founded by Frank Whitestone.

In a controversial move, after a few years Frank sold the site to ntl and ntl started paying him to run it.
Almost immediately some of the team ran off and started up 'nthellworld.co.uk' as an independent rival, many believed Frank himself was secretly behind this.
ntl later shut nthellworld.com and got rid of Frank (most of the traffic had migrated to nthellworld.co.uk anyhow).

After a couple of years it was decided to try and make the site more 'positive' and also to include the other dominant UK cable provider at the time Telewest. A part of this the name was  changed to CableForum. However the old nthellworld homepage still exists - https://www.nthellworld.co.uk

Later, ntl bought Telewest, and also bought Virgin Mobile, and then signed licencing deal with Richard Branson to become Virgin Media.

I don't know whether Frank still has any involvement and I don;t know as what point Paul M became involved.

It was a very well known and famous forum back in the day.

Edited by Scrotnig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I remember it because at the time when I used the newsgroup to see what it was like and was also first getting into running a forum. I saw the chance to do same thing and started a new forum to get VM customers on it as well. I posted a link (same way they did) as my signature in the newsgroups leading to the forum and they saw it "running that site Paul does" now. I got a load of abuse in the newsgroup over the forum from them. They didn't like another forum trying to get VM users started advertised in the newsgroups and some joined it moaning.

Pretty funny. But just showed how peeved they was to see a competing forum to theirs trying to get VM users on it.

Edited by Gaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...